By: Amanda D. Burton, Deana F. Halonen, Tuula I. Heinonen
Social Work Practice and Assessment: A W/holistic Approach presents a ten-component w/holistic assessment and practice model that integrates existing Western and Indigenous approaches to practice and offers a foundation on which to build our w/holistic conceptualization of assessment and practice. Whatever the setting or situation, social workers can approach practice and assessment drawing on a range of components that are part of the model and in so doing gain insights about the social, cultural, ecological, and place-based contexts that characterize the lives of those for whom they support.
KEY FEATURES –
• Ten Components of W/holistic Practice and Assessment Wheel – is a foundational approach
that can be applied to situations of different populations and/or fields of practice
• Perspectives boxes that ask readers to consider their own viewpoints in relation to the content
• Seeds of Thought chapter openers include quotations or reflections that provide food for thought
about the chapter content to follow
• Pause to Reflect boxes that highlight ideas to consider and explore
• Communicating Effectively boxes that offer tips and other communication considerations
• Chapter opening Learning Outcomes identify key concepts for each chapter
• Case Scenarios – Specific cases examined through the lens of the components of the w/holistic
model to explore and explain relevant issues
• End of Chapter activities include short answer reflection and discussion questions
• Instructor Resources including Instructor PowerPoints and a test bank.
Chapter 1: What is Social Work Assessment?
Chapter 2: Concepts and Ideas
Chapter 3: Values and Ethics
Chapter 4: Field of Practice: Aging and Older Adults
Chapter 5: Field of Practice: Groups and Communities
Chapter 6: Field of Practice: Children, Youth, and Families
Chapter 7: Field of Practice: Two-Spirit and LGBTQ+ Identity in the Context of Heteropatriarchy and Colonization
Chapter 8: Field of Practice: Mental Health
Chapter 9: Field of Practice: Newcomers and Settlement
Chapter 10: Evaluating to W/holistic Social Work Practice and Assessment Model
Northrose Educational Resources is located on the Traditional Territory of the Mississaugas of Scugog Island First Nation. We are proud to acknowledge the Lands and People of the Traditional Territories of the Mississaugas.