By: Diana Coholic with Leigh MacEwan
Print Price: $69.95 + shipping
Digital Price: $62.96
Available February 2022!
Current practice realities expect social workers and other helping professionals to have some social group work skills, so teaching and learning social group work remains a vital part of social work education in Canada. Social Group Work: A Strengths-Based Approach is written in a “non-academic” voice to make it engaging and accessible; students are challenged to develop a solid understanding of effective social group work concepts and practices including how to develop a group, how to apply their learning in a social group work course, and how to evaluate what they are doing and have accomplished.
KEY FEATURES -
• Chapter opening Learning Objectives
• Active Learning boxes contain individual or small group activities that allow students to respond
to and apply what they have learned
• Glossary Terms
• Case Scenarios - Specific cases that explore and explain relevant issues addressed in group work
• Key Takeaways from each chapter
• End of Chapter activities that include short answer critical thinking questions
• Appendices A & B include two assignments: a suggested group facilitation assignment and a
Please Click on Sample Chapters below for a preview.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Underpinnings of Social Group Work
Chapter 2: Types of Groups
Chapter 3: The Planning Process
Chapter 4: Group Leadership and Facilitation Skills
Chapter 5: Stages of Group Development and Roles of Group Members
Chapter 6: Ethics and the Use of Power in Social Group Work
Chapter 7: Cultural Humility and Competencies in Social Group Work
Chapter 8: Ending and Evaluating Groups
Chapter 9: Continuing Development of Social Group Work: Online Group Work
Appendix A: Social Group Work Assignments
Appendix B: Observation Form
Northrose Educational Resources is located on the Traditional Territory of the Mississaugas of Scugog Island First Nation. We are proud to acknowledge the Lands and People of the Traditional Territories of the Mississaugas.